Sunday, September 9, 2012

10 Things You Should Know About Gloria Diaz & Isabelle Daza

Gloria Diaz & Isabelle Daza: Don't hate them because they're beautiful... and funny
She was the country’s first-ever Miss Universe titleholder in 1969, and has then been a household name and icon.

She was the country’s first-ever Miss Universe titleholder in 1969, and has then been a household name and icon. She is one of today’s most idolized young models, who recently started a career in showbiz. Both known for their exceptional beauty, enviable bodies, standout style, and witty comments, here are 10 things you should know about mother and daughter duo Gloria Diaz and Isabelle Daza.

1. More than bringing home good grades, what was most important to Gloria as a mother was that her kids were good, that they traveled, and that they knew how to relate to all kinds of people.

“She just always gave me advice. Too much advice,” says Isabelle when asked what Gloria is like as a mother. “Agree, agree,” Gloria chimes in. Belle shares that her mom was quite the hands-on mom, with her planning and cooking their meals, checking on what the yaya feeds the kids (too much sugar and MSG was not allowed, “but they don’t obey right away, they hide it,” Gloria says) and even reaching her finger into the backside of their mouths to check if they brushed their teeth well enough. “But when they grew older and I had a boyfriend, I had a little bit less time for them,” Gloria shares. “Her boyfriend, Tito Mike (de Jesus), he’s been with us so long. Fourteen years. He’s like a stepdad,” Belle shares. She was seven when her mom and her dad Bong Diaz separated, but shares: “My dad and mom are still good friends now, we all have dinner together with their respective partners.”

Belle says that growing up, she, her older brother Rafael, and younger sister Ava (all three years apart in age) were never pressured about grades. But Gloria says “some teachers, a little problem (with grades), they make it humongous like the earth is going to collapse!”

Giving her kids the opportunity to see the world was important for Gloria. “They would be absent for as long as one month so we could travel. I remember I would go to each teacher personally and make sure they had pasalubong,” she reveals. She figured it was easier for them to catch up with schoolwork than to miss the chance to learn about different cultures. When Belle was eight, she lived in her yaya’s hometown of Kabangkalan for a short time, so that she would learn the meaning of simple living. “It’s important to me that they don’t think they’re ‘up there.’ I don’t want them to just live in San Lorenzo or the supermarket,” Gloria says. To which Belle quips, “As we have our interview now in Polo Club?” We all laugh. (The interview was held by the polo field, both wearing workout gear. Gloria had just finished tennis and Belle was off to bike after the interview.)

2. On where Gloria’s very vocal nature comes from: “I think you have to live life without thinking all the time what would people say.”

“My mother was the same way, she didn’t care,” Gloria shares. “My mother always felt you have to do what you think, say what you think. It’s just the way we were raised.” Gloria claims she has mellowed a lot since Belle started a career in showbiz, because she didn’t want whatever comments she may make to reflect badly on Belle. Gloria says being conscious of her actions because she is “the” beauty queen is the last thing on her mind. “You always have to look decent to a certain extent, that’s the only thing that makes a difference to me, being a beauty queen.”

On being declared persona non grata in Cebu (after her comment that beauty queens should be allowed to speak in whatever language they choose): “I’m too small and unimportant to make a big difference, whether I said it or not. It was really a misunderstanding.” She says maybe some people might’ve wanted to get fame out of that issue, “and they did, for 15 seconds. Afterwards it was dropped.”

3. Gloria says the biggest effect on her of her sister Rio’s passing is that you should appreciate life and “never do something just because other people will feel something, just do it for yourself and be positive.”

“I realized if you want to buy something, buy it now!” Gloria quips in a lighthearted moment. “Live your life to the fullest, almost indifferent to what people will say.” Her sister Rio passed away seven years ago, after having battled colon cancer for six years. Belle remembers how both major TV networks were at their home the day her Tita Rio passed, trying to get an exclusive, but that her mom was just in her room wanting to be alone. “For me, both prayer and mourning is a private thing,” Gloria says.

“I remember when she was still trying very hard to be well, we would sit in her room and she would look off very far, and without saying anything a tear would drop. And you cannot do anything for her. You have everything and nothing. You realize how important life is.”

4. Belle was quite the tomboy growing up; in fact the only time she wore a dress was during prom, and she only started wearing dresses when she began modeling at 16.

Belle shares that her dad and brother were her “super” idols and learned a lot of things from them, like sports. (Her biggest love is football, but she has tried almost every sport, and is now training for triathlons.) “There was a point where I was dressing like a guy, baggy everything,” Belle says. Her mom answers: “Ask Belle, I said, ‘Please don’t be a lesbian, I want to have grandchildren! Don’t get me wrong, I love lesbians, I’m just saying I want grandchildren!” Belle smiles and shakes her head.

Her love for (feminine) fashion started when she did her first ad campaign for Human. “My mom came to the shoot, and kulang na lang champagne. She was clapping at every layout. I was so humiliated!”

5. Both Gloria and Belle are actresses but neither dreamed of being one. Belle’s original dream was to be a doctor, and Gloria’s original dream was: “Nothing! Get married and have lots of children!”

Belle took up Early Childhood Education in De La Salle University, and it was her mom who helped her choose that course when she didn’t know exactly what to take up. She went on to take pre-med and finished two years of human biology. “I just wanted to try to take up medicine. It’s always been my dream because it seems so noble… and impossible,” she laughs. “We were dissecting cats,” Belle says. To which Gloria reacts: “Yeah, she would take it home, in the dining room pa, the cat was there, all open!” Gloria shares that she remembers Belle saying she wanted to be a doctor so she could help the poor. Gloria then told her, “Listen. Be an artista and you can hire people to help the poor.” Belle eventually stopped medicine because she realized the lifestyle wasn’t for her; she was getting sick often, and her mom says Belle was getting acidic and “mainitin ang ulo.”

Gloria never thought of being in showbiz. Even her parents never knew she joined and won the Bb. Pilipinas contest and only realized it was a big deal when she already had won the Miss Universe crown in Miami and the late President Marcos was excited about it. Belle shares, “My lola is super traditional. For her, a woman stays home and produces kids and takes care of her husband.” Gloria traveled a lot as an Ambassador of Good Will after winning the title, and was only home a total of four months within the four years of her duties. She was offered films left and right, though she’d never seen a Tagalog film in her life (the first Tagalog movie she saw was Patayin sa Sindak si Barbara and after the film she wondered why she never even saw Barbara get hit) and back then, she didn’t speak Tagalog at all. She had no idea what an actor was supposed to do, so much so that she came to the out of town set of her film Ang Pinakamagandang Babae Sa Balat Ng Lupa with just the clothes she was wearing, one more outfit, and a sabila plant for her hair. No costume, no makeup, not even a chair, and she says, “I wasn’t told anything!” Production then had costumes made for her by a local sewer, and when she tried it on and showed them, they whispered to her, “Um, Miss Diaz, can you put on a bra?” And she said, “You didn’t tell me to bring a bra!” Belle says, “And that’s why you were riding a horse without a bra, people thought that was sadya.”

6. One of the most important things Gloria has taught Belle: Save your money.

“The most important thing is you save. So you will not be pressured to do (your work) because you have no money,” Gloria says. She says she advises Belle to keep working only as long as she enjoys it. “It’s easy to know when you’re bored: if you’re not looking forward to waking up in the morning cause you have to go to a shoot, it means you’re bored.”

When Belle started doing commercials, her mom would keep her earnings to force her to save. “Ninety percent saved, 10 percent for travel. That was the only thing I was allowed to spend on,” Belle shares. “I had P700 allowance a week when I was 18, until I was 21.” She says because of her mom’s advice, she was able to buy her first apartment on her own when she was 22.

7. Gloria and Belle in numbers:

5’7 1/2”: Belle’s height.

5’5”: Gloria’s height.

37: Number of years Gloria has been in the industry.

34-24-34: Vital statistics of Gloria when she won Miss Universe at the age of 18.

2-45: Number in hours and minutes respectively that Belle finished her first ever duathlon. (7km run, 30km bike, 3.5k run).

8. Both Gloria and Belle say their big beauty secret is simply a healthy lifestyle.

Neither will go to bed without removing their makeup and they regularly use sunblock. “But beauty rituals aren’t only physical, it’s really everything you do. If you drink a lot, even if you remove your makeup at night, your skin will still get bad. Or if you eat a lot of fat, even if mag-sunblock ka, it has an effect. It’s really a lifestyle,” Gloria says. Belle, 24, and Gloria, 61, are still very active in sports and work out for an hour or two almost every day. Gloria adds: “My number one beauty secret? Don’t have utang.” (Belle says her mom got a credit card only two years ago.)

On aging, Gloria shares: “I always say I’m not afraid to age, I just don’t want to be fat.” Belle laughs and says she also wants to stay fit as she grows older.

9. Like other mothers and daughters, Gloria and Belle argue about decisions made. The biggest of which was when Gloria stormed into the Rogue magazine pictorial of Belle to scold her for fear that she was going to be labeled “bomba.”

“It’s usually me who reaches out first when it’s a little thing, but that was a major thing for me,” Gloria reveals. In fact, a few days after that confrontation, they had to shoot a TV commercial together and they had to have separate dressing rooms. The director even had to tell them: “Can you look sincere? Like you miss her and you care?” After days of not speaking to each other, Gloria says Belle sent her a text message: “I know you’re crazy, blah blah blah.” Then they reconciled. The conversation on the magazine during this interview goes:

Gloria: It’s okay, the article is okay. There’s so many other things she can do.

Belle: I liked it.

Gloria: I’m glad one of us did. I’m not sexy, if you see my movies.

Belle: Um, I saw Ginoo magazine, okay?

Gloria: I had my back turned, and I had a dress on!

On how sex sells, Gloria says: “Before, it just left things to the imagination, “Oh my baka walang suot ito.” Now kasi, it’s too trying hard to be sexy. Because in my mind, of course I’m not always right, being sexy is just titillating. You don’t have to show the actual skin.”

10. Gloria and Belle’s answers to memorable beauty queen questions.

Question: If a man from the moon landed in your hometown, what would you do to entertain him?

Gloria’s actual answer when she won: I think if he has been on the moon for so long, I think when he comes over he wants a change, I guess.

Belle’s answer: I’d take him for kamayan dinner in my house and I’d introduce him to all my cute friends.

Q: Would you rather be beautiful but not too smart, or very smart but not too beautiful?

Gloria: I’ll say beautiful. Better to be beautiful kasi it’s easy to pretend to be smart but you cannot pretend to be beautiful.

Belle: Probably the same. I guess it’s easier to learn to become smart. And it’s a fact that life is just a little bit easier when you’re more on the attractive side, which is honestly kind of vain to say.

Q: What is one big mistake in your life and what did you do to make it right?

Gloria: I wish I took tennis as a kid because by now I’d be a champ! Tennis is my passion.

Belle: It was when my Tita Rio was really sick and my mom asked me if I wanted to go to visit her, and I said no because it was my exams. You just realize, yes, school is part of your life but this is life.

Q: How would you tell a girl with low self-esteem to feel better about herself?

Gloria: I don’t think you can tell them anything that’s going to change their lives. But you can give them the time of day, like when you talk to them, you’re kind to them, you give them importance. Make them feel that they are not different from any beauty queen.

Belle: If they’re not happy with who they are maybe they should make a small change, like lifestyle or whatever it may be. I have friends with low self-esteem and I help them for example to have a better lifestyle.

Q: What is the essence of a woman?

Gloria: Lifestyle, living, loving, caring, that’s the essence of being a woman.

Belle: Being caring, especially a Filipina woman, we’re naturally maalaga. Being loving. And not allowing people to underestimate you because you are a woman.

Belle is often asked if she plans to join Bb. Pilipinas, but actually, Gloria will never allow it. “I will never want her to get into this, kasi there’s no need to be pressured like that, like how it is now.”

“Pageants are so difficult, the questions they ask, and you’re, like, in a bikini, on a stage,” Belle adds. Gloria quips: “While holding your stomach in!”

* * *

You cannot help but smile, watching Gloria and Belle together. Not only because they are beautiful but because of their wit. When asked what their dream for each other is, Gloria laughs and says, “To have a one-night stand?” To which Belle screams, “Eew, I wanna barf!” Their wish for each other is “happiness and contentment” but since they both admit they are happy and content, their wish for each other is an apartment in Europe. “With an extra room for the mama! And a husband that will welcome me,” adds Gloria. Don’t hate them because they’re beautiful. And funny. And smart. They may not know what their goals in life are, but they know exactly what they want out of life and they are getting it.